Friday, December 20, 2013

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling


Book: The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike book #1) by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling)

Source: Library

Rating: 3 1/2 stars

Review:

I thought this was good but there were sections of the book that felt like page fillers and didn't really add anything to the story. I also felt like the story was perhaps longer than it should have been.

The story focused on this down on his luck detective Cormoran Strike who was hired by the brother of a famous model to determine if her ruled suicide was actually murder.

I thought the writing was good, J.K. Rowling has a real good grasp on words but her main character Cormoran wasn't as interesting as the writing. I found his secretary Robin to be more interesting than him. I wanted to know why Robin was so interested in detective work and if she could one day become a detective. She was actually pretty good and shown a lot of initiative in regards with helping Cormoran with the case.

I found the mystery to be interesting and had a few twists and turns along the way. It felt like I was reading one of those old mysteries that just happened to be set in modern London. I look forward to reading the second book whenever it's available.

No comments: