Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Book Review: Huntress Crossbow at the Crossroads


Book: Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads by Paul Levitz

Rating: 4 stars

I had started reading this earlier in the year (I bought the individual six issues of this mini series) but put it aside because Huntress didn't feel quite like Helena Bertinelli's Huntress. My suspensions were confirmed when DC Comics had released the spoiler that Helena Bertinelli was just another alias for Helena Wayne. This mini-series was just a way to promote the comic that would be featuring this particular Huntress.

I felt like DC blatantly did a bait and switch because the solicits for the Huntress mini stated that it was Helena Bertinelli. I even wrote about this on my other blog with the post "Bad News for Helena Bertinelli Fans" back in February.

I recently picked it up again so I could finish reading it so now for my review.


My Review:

I thought the story was good but I thought the artwork by Marcus To was the real star of the book. It's amazing but his work is always great (check out the Red Robin series to see more of his work).

As I stated above, it just didn't feel like Bertinelli's Huntress. The mini-series focused on the Huntress going after the men responsible for young women being trafficked. She tracked them down in Italy and goes on the hunt for her prey.

Again, I thought the story was very good but there were a few things I didn't understand and brought up a few questions, such as: Why was she working with the Italian reporters? and Why would the Daily Planet vouch for her?

I enjoyed this but I still wish it really was Bertinelli's Huntress who was in the DC Comics new 52. 

No comments: