Sunday, June 23, 2013

Book Review: A Week in Winter


Book: A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

Source: Library

Rating: 2 stars (Did Not Finish)

Review:

I did not finish this, what I read I found to be between good and okay. I found the story to be slow moving, with each chapter focusing on a different character and I had to get used to the author's writing style. I thought each chapter felt like a short story because at the end of each chapter it felt like we got the ending to the character's story.

The story began with Chicky a young woman who met a young man named Walter who traveled to her small Irish town of Stoneybridge and taking a chance on love Chicky left with Walter back to America. After some time, the relationship ended leaving Chicky too embarrassed to tell her family the truth. She then made up a great romantic story about her and Walter, with them marrying and then at a later time, she said Walter died in an car accident (to avoid her niece visiting her and finding out the truth).

Returning to her hometown some years later, Chicky decided to open up a hotel. I really wish there was more depth to this story but it featured so many different characters and so many different stories that I started to get bored.

So I decided to pass on reading any more. It stop being interesting.

No comments: