Friday, October 18, 2013

Book 5 Review for my Library Read-a-thon: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings



Book: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou's Autobiography book #1) by Maya Angelou

Rating: 5 stars

Review:

Ugh, I got to the end and realized that although it ended on a happy note it's none the less ended with a cliffhanger to her life and left me wanting to read more. The next time I go back to the library, I will have to pick up the second installment.

I thought this was a magnificent read because it details Maya Angelou's life from the age of 6 to about 18. It dealt with some harsh subjects such as her being raped at an early age to ongoing racism and segregation that was prevalent. It also showed her love of learning and reading and the disappointment that her and her fellow students would never be able to explore their potential due to societies refusal to let them shine. Think about how horrible that would be to not be able to decide your own future. That someone else forced you into a role you didn't want to be in and there was barely, if anything at all, that you could do about it.

This was both heartbreakingly sad and delightfully funny but definitely worth reading.

No comments: