Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Book Review: Tell the Wolves I'm Home


Book: Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Source: Library

Rating: 5 stars

Review:

This took me a little longer than usual to finish, not because it wasn't good but because it was written so good that at times I found myself crying because certain scenes were so sad. Tell the Wolves I'm Home is such a wonderfully written book, the characters and everything just felt real, like life there were happy moments, funny moments and of course sad moments.

The story was set during the late 1980s and is about a 14 year old girl named June Elbus whose favorite uncle died from AIDS. Her uncle Finn Weiss was the person who introduced her to art, classical music and old movies. June was an extremely shy and awkward girl but when she was with her uncle she was able to be herself, something she's had a hard time doing around others.

So, when Finn died it left her trying to figure out life in her own way but just when she was least expecting it, someone else entered her life, Toby. He was her uncle's "special friend" as her older sister Greta told her. This was a rather complex story because it just didn't deal with the loss of June's uncle but of the dynamics of June's entire family.

As the story progressed you got to see more of what was going on between June and her sister Greta and how their relationship used to be and how it was changing.

This was such a heartbreaking yet sweet story and even though I checked this out from the library I know that I would like to have my own copy. It's just a book I can see reading again at some later time.

Lastly, I just want to say how amazing this story was, it was quit emotional at times but worth reading. It was simply spellbinding.

No comments: