Thursday, January 23, 2014

Read-a-thon book 6 review: The Sweetest Thing


Book: The Sweetest Thing (Talyton St. George book #3) by Cathy Woodman

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Rating: 2 stars

Review:

The Sweetest Thing is about a somewhat recently divorced mother of three, Jennie Copeland who decides to start over with her life by moving herself and her children (Adam, Georgia and Sophie) out of London to a small town in the country. She also has plans to start a new cake baking business. But one thing she didn't plan on was finding love again.

I thought the story was good in parts because Jennie was trying to follow her dreams of showing her children the quieter life out in the country while also trying to start a business. Two points that were constantly being told by not only her ex-husband but also some family and friends that she was crazy to pursue both her dream and moving to the country. She wanted to prove to not only to them but mainly to herself that this was the best decision for her and her children.

I had mixed feeling about this book. This started out pretty good but then started to fall into the predicable category. And after a while I started to get annoyed by the main character Jennie's incompetence. She was in total denial about her teenage son's drinking, him missing school and how bad he was doing overall in their new town. The best thing she seemed to be able to do is bake. I thought she was a rather terrible mother and her ex-husband wasn't any better. Neither one really seemed to care until something nearly tragic almost happened.

I found myself not caring about what was happening to Jennie in the story instead I was more interested in Adam who was truly suffering yet his clueless mother and selfish father never seemed to figure out that he truly needed help. And with his dad moving on with his life with a soon to be new wife and baby, it seemed like no one really cared about what was really going on with him.

Adam's problems seem to overshadow his sisters Georgia and Sophie who were also trying to adjust to their new living situation. But they seem to adjust much better than he did.

I know this is a minor issue but I got so tired of Jennie constantly talking about how independent and self-reliant she was but she couldn't seem to do anything for herself and most of the time Guy Barnes (the neighbor and love interest) did everything for her.

And speaking of Guy, I thought he was a really charming character. He was a hardworking farmer who after a heartbreaking divorce had pretty much given up on love that is until he met Jennie.

Although this is the third book in the series it's written as a stand alone story. I believe this book could be read without having to read the other two books (which I have not).

Overall, I thought this was a fairly good story but there were things that annoyed me at times and I thought the ending was wrapped up too neat and clean. I loved reading the parts that had Jennie creating various dishes. And I love the food titles for each chapter, they tied in perfectly with the story. I also love how descriptive the writing was, I would say the author has a knack for writing such vivid and engaging scenes.

No comments: