Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Read-a-thon book 12 review: Dinosaurs Before Dark



Book: Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House book #1) by Mary Pope Osborne with illustrations by Sal Murdocca

Rating: 4 stars

Review:

This is the last book for my read-a-thon and I'm glad I picked a fun book to end with.


I think Dinosaurs Before Dark is a great book for young children who may not quite be ready to read Harry Potter but still want to read a fun fantasy adventure.

In this first book, eight (and a 1/2) years old Jack and his seven years old sister Annie were walking back from school when they find a tree house sitting in a very tall tree. Annie decides to go up to the tree house despite her brother's objections and inside she found a lot books. Being a book lover this caught Jack's attention and despite his previous objections he was soon climbing up to the tree house.

Once, Jack joined Annie in the tree house he saw all the books and the one that drew him was a book on dinosaurs and as soon as he wished he could  he see one for real they were whisked away to another time.

I thought both Jack and Annie were fun and interesting characters. They have different personalities which adds to the story because Jack is a bit analytical while Annie thinks with her heart.

I enjoyed this adventure, so I am going to try to pick up the second book in this series. It's very cute and it also included various brief facts and information about dinosaurs throughout the story. I also really liked all the illustrations, they fit the story perfectly.

No comments: