Monday, March 10, 2014

Book Review: New Warriors issue #1 (Marvel Now)

New Warriors #1


Book: New Warriors #1 by Christopher Yost and illustrations by Marcus To with color by David Curiel

Rating: 5 stars

Review:

After the Young Avengers series ended I didn't think I would find another fun yet action packed series that could replace it. But after reading this first issue of the New Warriors it might be in the running. Apparently, this series has been done before but since I've predominately been a DC Comics girl in the past, I never read the original series but I really glad I gave this a chance.

In the first issue, do to a misunderstanding Speedball (Robbie Baldwin) and Justice (Vance Astrovik) go up against the Salem's Seven. The Salem's Seven had mistakenly thought those two were up to something especially since Speedball had accidently attacked one of the Seven.

Then in another part of the story, Scarlet Spider (Kaine) and Hummingbird (Aracely Penalba) were traveling through Mexico when they stopped a mugging.

Next the story picks up New York where Sun Girl (Selah Burke) is trying to stop a guy who robbed an armored car.

Meanwhile, as Justice and one of the Seven were taking a walk around New Salem, a trio of robot like beings know as The High Evolutionary show up. Back in Mexico, Kaine and Aracely's beach time was interrupted by Faira Sar Namora looking for heroes. The Atlantean was surrounded by bodies floating in the water. And in New York, Sun Girl was trying to determine the cause of a subway explosion, she comes into contact with others trying to fight one of The High Evolutionary.

Lastly, Nova (Sam Alexander) was in New Mexico trying to stop an alien when he was attacked by The High Evolutionary.

I really like this first issue, it was really fun and exciting. It was also very well written. I also like how natural the interaction and the dialogue was between the characters. I enjoyed gradually getting to know these characters instead of it feeling rushed and unexplained. Two of these characters I knew a little something about: Nova and Scarlet Spider but I'm still glad the story provided a little something about them as well.

I have always been a fan of Marcus To's artwork and it doesn't disappoint in this story either. I thought it was really brought out the story.

This first issue was great and I'm looking forward to reading the second issue (which I bought over the weekend), hopefully this series will continue to be good.

No comments: