Friday, April 11, 2014

Book Review: Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller #1 (New 52)

Suicide Squad Amanda Waller

Book: Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller #1 by Jim Zub with illustrations by Andre Coelho and color by Andrew Dalhouse

Rating: 4 stars

Review:

I'm still trying to get used to the "new" Amanda Waller who I feel like sometimes doesn't always have that authoritativeness that she once had in the old pre-52 comics but I think that's more or less down to who the writer is.

This turned out to be much better than I thought it would be. The writing was strong and the artwork was good.

Although, this issue takes place after the #24 issue of Suicide Squad, it's written in a way that's you don't necessary had to have read that issue especially since I've stopped reading this series after the #0 issue.

I found this to be rather interesting because while it showed Amanda's inner monologue and how she's sort of dealing with all the tough decisions she's always having to make.

In this story, Amanda was attempting to protect herself and the survivors of the plane they were traveling on after it was blasted out of the sky. It turns out that the scientist that accompanied them was being tracked by the person who took out their plane.

This was a fast moving story that had the reader wondering about innocence and guilt. Who really is the victim here? And could you have made the tough decisions that Waller has to make?

I don't know if this will have me going back to reading Suicide Squad again but I did enjoy reading this Amanda Waller one-shot.

No comments: