Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Book Review: I Am Malala



Book: I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb

Source: Library

Rating: 4 stars

Review:

This was very good as well as inspirational. Everything is told from Malala's perspective and gives you a first hand account of her life and where she's from. But I think it would have been even more interesting if the book focused a little bit more on Malala. A lot of the book was on the history and political aspects of her family and her country. Which can make it seem like you're reading a history book at times.

I did find the book to be very informative but sometimes the story telling appeared a little flat. I still found this to be a good read because you got an insight into Malala's life and the culture of her country. It was very eye opening because while I was reading this I sometime found myself going that's not fair especially in regards to how education is provided as well as everyday life for women.

I was very fascinated by Malala's account of her life and her love of learning. And in a country that seems to value boys over girls, her father's treatment towards her was wonderful because he encouraged her instead of crushing her dreams. Not even that shooter could stop her dreams.

It's so hard to understand why it's bad for girls and women to be educated, wouldn't you want all of your citizens to be able to get an education. I know we have our problems with education in America, but at least it is easily assessable if someone wants it.

This was a very moving story.

No comments: