Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Book Review: Guilt by Association


Book: Guilt By Association (Rachel Knight book #1) by Marcia Clark

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Rating: 3 stars

Review:

For the first book in the series (I've been invited to read the first four books in the series), I thought it was good but I was hoping it would be more of a fast paced thriller. The story tends to move a bit slow and it didn't really seem like there was an urgency to solve not only one but two cases. There was action and fast moving scenes I just wish there were more of them.

In Guilt by Association, main character (and story narrator) Los Angeles District Attorney Rachel Knight along with her friend and Detective Baily Keller were not only trying to find a rapist who had attack a teenage girl from an affluent neighborhood. They were also trying to find out why her friend and fellow DA Jake Pahlmeyer was found dead in a motel room with a young teenage boy who was also dead.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't think there was enough urgency or drama and suspense for both mysteries. Hopefully in the second book will have me more invested in the story.

As for the characters, they were all okay. Since the story was told in first person, Rachel doesn't really give the reader too much info about her friends and people she becomes acquainted with. The reader does get to know a few things about them but not as much as you would think. Which is something I'm hoping the second book improves upon.

Rachel wasn't a bad character but she can be a little annoying when she starts harping about what other people are eating. She spends far too much time worried about (and telling the reader) what other people are eating. Oh, and correcting other people's grammar and trying to figure out what she's going to wear to work. Annoying yes, but I guess they're considered character quirks.

This wasn't a bad book and it did kept me interested in wanting to know what was going on I just wish it was a bit more exciting. So with that said, I am looking forward to reading the second book.

No comments: