Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review: Gotham Academy #1 (New 52)

Gotham Academy #1

Book: Gotham Academy #1 by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher with illustration by Karl Kerschl and color by Geyser and Dave McCaig


Rating: 3 stars

Review:

For the first issue of this new series, I like it but I don't love it.

I found the story to be slow moving with nothing really happening. And the main character Olive Silverlock is really dull and boring, well at least so far. She's nothing more than another boring and generic emo character. I hope the writers include a personality for her in the next issue.

I know this series is supposed to be aimed at tween and teen girls. Side note: Teen girls are the new target market that DC Comics is trying to go after, case in point just look at all the new changes that are being made to the Batgirl series to appeal to younger readers.

Okay, about this first issue, which didn't seem to have much going on, focused on Olive who is in her second year at Gotham Academy when she is tasked by the Headmaster to show around new student Maps. Besides being a new student, Maps is also the sister of Olive's ex-boyfriend Kyle. Although the break-up isn't really official.

As the two girls are touring the school they visit the North Hall, which is the forbidden section where an accident occurred and they pretty much ruined Bruce Wayne's Assembly's speech. Yes, of course, Bruce Wayne had to be featured in this book as well as a flashback scene that included Batman. DC Comics can't let a book go by without including Batman in some way, right. I'm a Batman fan but he doesn't have to be included in everything.

The best part of this issue for me was the character Maps and the artwork. She was the only character in this book who has a pulse let alone a personality. The rest of the characters are pretty much forgettable. She's the reason I gave this three stars otherwise I would have gave it two. I really like the artwork it's very gothic.

I'm hoping the next issue will be much better writing wise because the artwork is great.

No comments: