Monday, December 29, 2014

Book Review: The Wicked + The Divine vol #1


Book: The Wicked + The Divine volume #1: The Faust Act (issues #1-5) by Kieron Gillen with illustration by Jamie McKelvie and color by Matthew Wilson

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Description:

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever.


Rating: 2 stars

Review:

Okay, maybe it's me but this was so boring. I heard so many good things about this series but I didn't find it to be so great. The best thing about this is the artwork and color it so beautiful and vibrant. I also love the covers for each issue they are simply amazing. If I could I would have gave this 5 stars for the art alone, it was that amazing.

Now for the story, it's confusing and boring. As the description says, every 90 years, twelve gods are incarnated as humans and that's pretty much all I got from this because it was repeated several times. But I thought the story didn't make any sense.

The focus of the story is about Luci or Lucifer being accused of killing a judge, Laura a god obsessed college student took it upon herself to try to prove the god's innocence. She gets a little help from Cassandra, a cynical reporter. The best part of this was the last couple of issues but the story didn't really improve.  From the moment I started reading this, I felt like I had opened a book in the middle of the story and started reading, there was no real explanation to what was going on. I still never found out who the killer really was. Was it Lucifer or some other god? Perhaps that's answered in the next volume.

I so wanted to like this especially since it seemed like something that I would have liked, a mythological mystery. But it was poorly written and the story and the dialogue was definitely trying too hard. So, I guess this just wasn't for me.

No comments: