Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Book Review for A-Z Title Challenge: Magneto vol #1 (Marvel Now)



Book: Magneto volume #1: Infamous (issues #1-6) by Cullen Bunn with illustrations by Gabriel Hernandez Walta (issues #1-3) and Javi Fernandez (issues #4-6) with color by Jordie Bellaire

Edition: Read single print issues

Rating: 5 stars

Review:

Wow, now this was a good read. These first six issues left me in suspense as Magneto was taking out his revenge on those who have wronged mutantkind.

There were a few flashbacks shown throughout including one that showed how one incident when Magneto was young boy in Germany during the Nazi invasion and how it shaped his life. There was also a flashback of a more recent memory that showed the peaceful town of Genosha that he created and mutants who lived there being destroyed by sentinels.
Both of these flashbacks spoke to how Magneto has constantly had to deal with the harsh world that seems to allow bad things to happen to people for no reason other than being different.

This was a dark yet meaningful group of action packed issues. In issue #5, Magneto met a young woman while he was in a small town who seems to be trying to help him with his cause. But it left me wondering if she doesn’t have her own agenda for wanting to help him and if she can be trusted. Perhaps I’ll find out in the second volume which is something that I will be quickly added to my wishlist.
I really like the artwork, it had a gritty looks to it that complemented the story. Also, I couldn’t help looking at this version of Magneto and thinking he reminds me of Lex Luthor (well, appearance wise).

Lastly, I thought this was very well-written, fast paced and a thrilling adventure as Magneto's fixation on revenge takes him on a journey that may have him in the ultimate fight, especially as S.H.E.I.L.D. and other authorities are tracking him down. I am really looking forward to continuing on with this series.

No comments: