Friday, November 16, 2012

Book Review: Case Closed Volume 1


Book: Case Closed volume #1 by Gosho Aoyama

Description:

Ghastly beheadings, bloody murders, and cold-hearted child abduction cases: precocious high school student Shin'ichi Kudo uses his keen powers of observation and astute intuition to solve mysteries that have left law enforcement officials baffled. Hot on the trail of a suspect, Shin'ichi is accosted from behind and fed a strange chemical which physically transforms him into a grade schooler! Taking on the pseudonym Conan Edogawa, he attempts to track down the people that did this to him.



Rating: 5 stars (this was great)

My Review:

I love a good mystery and Case Closed was chocked full of them. The first volume had high school student and amateur detective Kudo Shinichi bringing good luck to the police by helping them solve mysteries. However, his luck ran out when two mysterious criminals got the better of him. In their attempt to kill him with poison, he was transformed into a little kid. In order for him to get access to police information so he can find those two mysterious men, he is living with his good friend Ran and her father (who is a horrible detective). He goes by the name Conan Edogawa and Ran is unaware that Conan is really her good friend Kudo.

I found the mysteries to be complex and had me truly engaged trying to solve them. Besides having a lot of great mysteries this book also had a lot of humor. It had me laughing, it was just hilarious. This was so good I found I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read volume two.

Although, this features a child solving mysteries this is not for kids. It's amazing when I see bad reviews - presumably from parents - complaining about the violence and that kids shouldn't read this. Well, it's not for little kids, it's full of murder and violence. Unless you want kids to read about that. Anyway, I thought this was a really great read.

No comments: