Friday, November 16, 2012

Art of the Day: Roy and Lian Harper


Artwork: Arsenal and Lian by cctcc

I think this is a great picture and it's so full of color, which I love.

Roy may not have been the typical father but he truly loved his little girl and tried to be the best father for her. I thought Roy was a fun interesting character and once they introduced Lian, he got even better. Roy was another favorite character of mine.

It's too bad that DC Comics killed off Lian (prior to the re-boot) and had Roy go through such a downward spiral. Lian was adorable and I could see her going into the family business of being a hero (if they would ever let the characters grow) in the future.

I knew the re-boot (Red Hood and the Outlaws) was going to make Roy younger and most likely without Lian but I didn't think they would turn him into a slimy jerk with zero personality. I think he is another poorly written character in the New 52. And What's With That Hat? Can they just get rid of it? 

It's funny because Starfire was one of the worst characters I have ever seen however, someone over at DC must have gotten a clue and decided to give her some character development. Because ever since issue #10, she has been written a little better. There is still a whole lot of room for improvement but at least she's headed in the right direction unlike Roy. Maybe they will do the same for him in future issues. But I doubt it.

No comments: