Monday, November 5, 2012

Book Review: Princess of Park Avenue


Book: Princess of Park Avenue by Daniella Brodsky

Description:

You can take the girl out of Brooklyn, but can you take Brooklyn out of the girl?

Lorraine Machuchi has held on tight to her Brooklyn home, and to Tommy, the neighborhood guy she's been pining over for years. But the very guy she tossed everything away for just told her he'll never wind up with her--a girl who's not going anywhere.

That's the kick in the pants she needs to cross the bridge to Manhattan, where she starts coloring hair at a swank salon. There she meets a new and fascinating species: The Park Avenue Princess. Sure, their $400 cashmere sweaters, charity balls for poor girls with small boobs, and 'sexy' yoga are a bit over-the-top for someone like Lorraine, but sometimes even a Brooklyn girl can learn to love her own inner princess.


-----------------------------------------------

Rating: 1 star

My Review:

It's as they say "don't judge a book by it's cover" because judging by the cover I thought I was going to read a fun and fabulous Chick-lit but what I got instead was a boring and dull book. I didn't even attempt to try to finish this. It was very disappointing. I could not find anything remotely likeable about the main character, Lorraine Machuchi. She was just so pathetic, annoying and uninteresting.

She continued to pin for her ex-boyfriend Tommy who - as the reader - couldn't find anything amazing about this guy. Certainly not something which would keep Lorraine so enamored with him for so long (as in nearly 20 years). I could maybe see if Lorraine was a teenager or in her early twenties but she is almost 30 (28 years old) and was still hung up on a guy who pretty much told her "he wasn't that into her". I don't believe there were any characters that I actually found interesting. They all felt so one-dimensional.

I think the most frustrating thing about this book was the writing style. It was so drab and monotone. This was the second book that I read from this author and I'm not sure if I want to read another. The other book "The Velvet Rope Diaries" also had the same writing style but it had an interesting plot and likeable characters.

No comments: