Friday, May 10, 2013

Book Review: Fables: Peter and Max


Book: Fables: Peter and Max written by Bill Willingham and illustrations by Steve Leialoha

Rating: 5 stars

My Review:

I think the Brothers Grimm would have loved this book. I can't tell you how much I loved reading this. It's a dark and marvelous telling of the fables and fairy tales we all grew up reading. This fast paced story centered around two brothers Peter and Max Piper. Peter was a gifted musician and always caught the crowds eye and caused a great deal of jealousy within Max. Max had mainly kept his jealousy to himself until their father bestowed upon Peter the gift of Frost, which was the Piper family's inherited magical flute. Seeing Peter with that flute brought out the worst in Max.

This book was filled with unexpected twists and turns that the author vividly described. I love the worlds and the characters that the writer created. The characters are far from being one-dimensional and some of the ones that made cameos had me wanting to know more about them. I adored Bo Peep in this tale, the author created a very interesting take on her.

I really enjoyed this book. Prior to reading this, I had not read any of the comic book "Fables" series but this story was so good, I just might start reading it.

This book might not be for those who favor happier fairy tales but for those looking for a new take, just might want to give this a read.

No comments: