Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review for Book Girl Read-a-thon: Holly Would Dream


Book: Holly Would Dream by Karen Quinn

Source: Library

Rating: 1 stars (Did Not Finish)

Review:

Despite the good reviews I have seen for "Holly Would Dream", I didn't enjoy it and could not bring myself to finish it. I read up until page 168 and couldn't take reading anymore of this.

When I picked this up I thought I would get a fun light-hearted read but instead I found both the story and the main character Holly Ross to be rather dreadful. The plot was unbelievable and the characters were insipid.

I was looking forward to reading this because I thought Holly had found inspiration from Audrey Hepburn and the characters in her movies. Holly was so annoying. She works as an assistant at a fashion museum and was looking forward to her upcoming wedding. But that all looks good on paper, her job was a dead end especially after being passed up for a promotion and her fiancé really doesn't seem to care about her. Holly constantly talks about wanting a better life but instead of doing anything about it, she would rather settle for the crappy life she has.

There were so many scenes that made Holly look pathetic, for instance her fiancé had been arrested for soliciting a minor and not only does she bail him out of jail, she also ends up having sex with him when she didn't really want to. The main thought going through her mind was she didn't want to lose him.

There were many scenes of her not standing up for herself or speaking up when she was at work. She was treated like a doormat and even went along with trying to help her boss and the new curator cheat during a fashion event.

Again this is another book where the main character is in her early 30s and she acts like a child. Holly never really took anything serious and continued to do stupid stuff.

This book held none of the style and grace that Audrey Hepburn held. I'm disappointed that she was even included in this lack luster book. This was a total waste of time.

No comments: