Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bout of Books, Day 3 Review: To Kill A Warlock


Book: To Kill A Warlock (Dulcie O'Neil book #1) by H.P. Mallory

Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

I have come to the conclusion that H.P. Mallory's books are not for me. I found this book to be underwhelming and not very cohesive. This is my second attempt at reading one of the author's books and yet again I could not bring myself to finish it.

The story was lacking a sense of mystery and discovery. It also seemed to focus more on the pretty/handsome human like creatures finding each other attractive instead of creating drama and suspense. That's the thing, every human like creature was sexy and hot, only the ogres, hobgoblins, etc. were described as ugly. I wish the mystery was more developed, because it was there but it was missing a sense of urgency to find out who was behind it. It also felt formulaic and uncreative at times.

In other words I was bored.

The story focused on Dulcie O'Neil, a fairy who works as a Regulator for the Association of Netherworld Creatures (A.N.C.). Her job is basically policing other creatures and making sure they're not up to any good. 

The mystery centered on the death of Fabian, a warlock, who earlier in the story had cast a spell on Dulcie, who had been checking out the warlock's store to see if he was involved with selling illegal potions. While she was in the store, she had spotted a handsome stranger leaving her distracted which is how she got a spell placed on her. However, the following day, Dulcie along with her boss, Quillan and her Regulator partner Trey, found Fabian dead (rather torn to pieces) in his store.

Since she was the last person to see Fabian alive, Dulcie was regarded as a suspect. However, as she was trying to investigate the murder she met the mysterious stranger from the store. Supposedly, the stranger, Knight (yes, that's his name) was from the main headquarters of the A.N.C. but only wanted to work with her and she wasn't allowed to tell her boss or anyone really about him or what they find about the case.

What dragged the story down was the romance or the lackluster attempt at it, it was as if the author tossed it in there just so it could be included. There was no real connection or chemistry between Dulcie and her many love interests. The other issue was the writing it felt very juvenile, I have read young adult books more well written than this.

I also didn't find any of the characters interesting. Dulcie was this vapid, boring, mean-spirited character who is supposed to be good at her job but seems more like an amateur instead of this amazing Regulator, that she's always being described as. For a main character she's completely useless. While, Knight is the clichéd good looking mysterious bad boy character. There were other characters but none of them were able to capture my attention.

This is a fast paced book but I couldn't connect with it.  I wish the story was engaging enough to hold my attention because I like the premise but it just didn't deliver.

I keep running into these Did Not Finish books. I hope the rest of the read-a-thon books I selected are much better.

No comments: