Friday, December 20, 2013

Book Review: The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes


Book: The Seven Spiritual Laws of Supeheroes: Harnessing Our Power to Change the World by Deepak Chopra with Gotham Chopra

Source: Library

Rating: 1 star

Review:

Wow, this was so unbelievably boring. I thought this would be an interesting read but I was wrong. It's too wordy and reads as if the author only has a very brief understanding of superheroes. The author was trying to use superheroes as an example to convey spiritual lessons however, the meanings and the life lessons were being drowned out by the jargon.  

This isn't the most inspiring book which is a shame because superheroes are inspiring. This felt like I was reading a boring text book and there is not a lot that relates to the superhero in this. I'm not sure who the audience for this book is but I find it hard to believe it's for comic book readers especially with the dull and uninspiring overly generalized writing.

I feel like this book was just a way for the author to try to take advantage of the superhero craze and make money off of the fans. It felt like the author randomly picked the characters he wanted to talk about because it didn't feel like he actually understood the characters. 

I usually don't suggest other books to read when I'm writing a review. But I just thought if you would like to read a book that effectively incorporates superheroes in an spiritual way I would recommend reading "Wisdom from the Batcave: How to Live a Super, Heroic Life" by Cary A. Friedman. It's an engaging and insightful read and you can tell the author is a real fan of comic books.

One thing I did like about this book was the artwork by Jeevan Kang that preceded each chapter. Sadly, this book failed because it wasn't very relatable or inspiring.

No comments: