Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Book Review: Queen Sugar


Book: Queen Sugar by Natalie Baszile

Source: Library

Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

I couldn't finish reading this book, in fact I had a bit of a hard time getting into it. The writing was just too boring and it was way too descriptive. The author spent too much time describing various things instead of focusing more on the characters. I want to know who these characters are instead of what they are seeing.

The story seems like it would have been interesting if the author focused more on telling it. I found it interesting that main character Charley Bordelon had inherited a sugar cane farm from her father. And in need of a life change especially after both the death of her husband and father, Charley and her daughter leave Los Angeles for a new start.

Unfortunately, this is a slow moving and overly descriptive story and it made me no longer interested in trying to read any more.

I'm sure this is a lovely book, the ratings are really good but it just wasn't working for me.

No comments: