Monday, July 14, 2014

Book Review for Read-a-thon book #15: African-American Classics (comic book)


Book: African-American Classics (Graphic Classics volume #22) edited by Tom Pomplun and Lance Tooks

Source: Library

Rating: 4 stars

Review:

I found this book while I was looking around the comic book section of the library. And after reading that horrible adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, I wasn't too sure how these older stories and poems would translate. But they turned out quite well.

Before I read this I wasn't familiar with some of the authors and this gave me the opportunity to get to know their stories. And coupled with beautiful illustrations this should be a good introduction to readers.

I thought there was some really good stories in this volume, this book includes 23 stories that range from humorous to thought provoking. Here are just a few of some of my favorite stories: Two Americans by Florence Lewis Bentley which told the story of two soldiers during World War 1 and another story I really like was On Being Crazy by W. E. B. Du Bois who was tired of segregation and just wanted to do all the things he wanted to do like sit down at a restaurant to eat or stay at hotel but again and again met with opposition. I also really like Danse Africaine by Langston Hughes, it was a very beautiful poem with equally beautiful artwork.

There were many more stories that I enjoyed reading including the poem The Bronze Legacy by Effie Lee Newsome and the amazing artwork by Keith Mallett. There were a couple of stories I thought were a little wacky but overall these are good stories including the folktale Shalmanezer by Frances E. W. Harper at the end of the book.

Although I enjoyed reading this, I'm not sure I would recommend it for children but more for middle school/high school students and older because many of the stories deal with subject matters that younger readers might not fully understand.

No comments: