Friday, September 12, 2014

Tackle Your TBR Read-a-thon book 3 Review: Batman: Gates of Gotham


Book: Batman: Gates of Gotham (issues #1-5 and includes a Batman, Inc. story Nightrunner by Kyle Higgins and Trevor McCarthy)

story by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgins,
dialogue by Kyle Higgins and Ryan Parrott
art by Trevor McCarthy, Graham Nolan, Dustin Nguyen and Derec Donovan 
colors by Guy Major

Rating: 5 stars

Review:

Surprisingly enough, I bought this trade edition two years ago because I had missed one of the single print issues. And I'm now just getting around to reading it.

I guess you could say Gates of Gotham is a precursor to the Court of Owls story line. In this story, a mad bomber is setting off bombs throughout Gotham City as a way to get back at those he holds responsible for his family's demise. This story weaves the history of Gotham with the present.

Batman (Dick Grayson), Robin (Damian Wayne), Red Robin (Tim Drake) had help from Black Bat (Cassandra Cain) with trying to stop the bomber and figure out the motive behind all the bombings.

This was a thrilling fast paced adventure with an interesting story because you get to see the makings of Gotham as well as seeing Dick as Batman for one of the last times. I also like that Cass was in the story, she doesn't get enough attention in the Bat books.

I don't know why I waited so long to read this. It was really good and I also really enjoyed the second story Nightrunner with the Batman of Paris (Bilal Asselah) getting started. You get to see the side of Paris that's not always shown.

Bruce Wayne does make a cameo in both stories but I like that the story let Dick and rest of the Gotham crew lead as well as Bilal tell his story.

No comments: