Friday, September 18, 2015

Book Review: Trust


Book: Trust (Between the Lions book #1) by Jodi Baker

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Publisher: Between Lion Press

Description:

TRUST is a young adult, mythological, urban fantasy thrill ride about the darkly fantastical, supernatural Museion that has secretly protected humanity’s greatest treasures for millennia, and Anna, the sixteen-year-old New York girl who is the unknowing Heir to it all:

TRUST.
That’s what the voice inside my head kept repeating when I woke up between the infamous lion statues of the New York Public Library, with no idea how I got there and no memory of the last year of my life.

The only person I ever trusted was my mother, who lied about everything.

I want to trust myself, despite my missing memories. But hearing a voice inside my head obviously isn’t a good thing, especially since it know things I don’t… like how to speak Ancient Sumerian, the fact that yellow-eyed people aren’t actually people, and that my mother’s Egyptian ankh necklace was the key to unlocking the truth she was hiding:

I’m the last in a long lineage of powerful women whose secrets date back to the ancient Library of Alexandria.

I’m fighting like hell to stay alive while searching for both my missing mother and the truth, desperate to find something or someone I can trust.




Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

This was such a slow moving story and it makes no sense. The story spent so much time in showing Anna as a child being extensively homeschooled and being told by her mother that she must not let anyone find out how smart she is or they will take her away from her. Anna needed not to draw attention to herself and to do that she needed to stay in the middle because no one notices those who are in the middle. That last part became moot because for some reason the two of them remaining anonymous didn't seem that big a deal once her mother starting dating then married Patrick a rather loud University Music Professor.

I thought Anna's relationship with her mother was strange. It was almost as if her mother was brainwashing her and what was the point of making Anna all paranoid about not letting strangers find out about them if she never told her why.

The end of the first chapter finds Anna going up to her room to read, she ended up taking a nap and somehow Anna woke up somewhere else. There is no transition from the first chapter to the second it's just there. I gave up reading during chapter two because it wasn't making any sense and by then I tired of reading this book.

There were two things I did like about this book which was that Anna loved to learn and read and the writing was good. I thought this would be an interesting read since it's about Egyptian Mythology but it's very slow moving and with mediocre characters which left me too bored to continue reading. 

No comments: