Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Book Review for Book Club: Republic


Book: Republic by Plato with translations by Benjamin Jowett

Book Club: Philosophy Books Club


Rating: 2 stars

Review:

I finally finished reading this book and it only took a little over three months to do it. I know this is held in such high regards in the world of philosophy but I wasn't thrilled with it.

This was a disappointing read, not only are the characters extremely long winded but they can't even stick to the topic of discussion for long. Their conversations skip around a lot with most of it feeling like nothing more than hot air or the strong desire to hear themselves speak.

There were parts of this that I found interesting but a majority of this book dragged on with no real purpose. I also feel like if it was up to the characters in this story, the world that they had envisioned would be really restrictive and leaving no area for creativity or discoveries.

For a philosophy book, I found it hardly contained anything that was really thought-provoking.

No comments: