Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Book Review: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry


Book: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Source: Library

Description:

A. J. Fikry’s life is not at all what he expected it to be. He lives alone, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. But when a mysterious package appears at the bookstore, its unexpected arrival gives Fikry the chance to make his life over--and see everything anew.


Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

I was bored reading this and try as I might I just couldn't force myself to finish it. The plot was very thin and lacked substance. I couldn't click with the writing style which was trying too hard to be quirky. The characters were underdeveloped and I couldn't find anything to connect with them.

The story follows A.J. Fikry a 39 years old bookstore owner on a tourist Island. For years after the death of his wife, he has given up on life. He's rude to everyone, a literary snob and doesn't even bother trying to connect with his customers. And with the haphazard way he is running his bookstore, he's sure to be out of business in a matter of time.

But when his prized Edgar Allan Poe book was stolen, his life started to unexpectedly change. First starting with trying to get himself back in shape by running at night. Next a baby was found inside his unlocked bookstore. After he was robbed he didn't see the point of locking his door. Anyway, after finding 2 years old Maya, he decides to adopt her after some time caring for her. And by then I was tired of this go nowhere book that was trying to focus on too many characters and their mundane lives. There was nothing really happening in this story to keep me engaged.

This was a very boring story with boring characters that felt like it was only written as a vehicle to talk about other books. I guess this book just wasn't for me but I'm definitely glad I checked it out from the library instead of buying it.

No comments: