Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: The Scarlet Letter


Book: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Rating: 3 stars

My Review:

I had a hard time sympathizing with the characters of Hester Prynne, Roger Chillingworth and Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale. They wrapped their lives around so many lies resulting in so much suffering for them but of the three I would say that Hester suffered the most. She was scorned and treated with disdain while the Reverend Dimmesdale was treated with greatness among the people even though he was as guilty as she was.

The Reverend suffered inwardly but I'm sure that was nothing compared to what Hester had to endure. If he really believed the words he were preaching he should have stood up and told the truth in the beginning. For Roger Chillingworth, I just don't understand why he would waste his time with trying to seek revenge it didn't do him any good in the end.

The Scarlet Letter continues to stand the test of time because of the suffering that each character endures which in my opinion was self imposed. This book was not my favorite but I can understand why it is considered a classic.

No comments: