Thursday, November 8, 2012

Book of Disinterest: Superman: Earth One


Book: Superman: Earth One by J. Michael Straczynski

The more I read about this comic (and from skimming through it at the store) the more I dislike it.

Lois Lane continues to be pushed into the background again but this time so that Jimmy Olsen (who in general I find to be a great character) can become the Big Man On Campus or The Daily Planet. Jimmy has some how taken on Lois' traits of being fearless, smart and tough. And most importantly, Earth One's Lois Lane is so poorly written that she's completely out of character in this book.

So, when has Jimmy Olsen become more important than Lois Lane? Not to mention, Clark Kent/Superman is pretty much useless with his completely emo state of being. When will we see Superman? With an emphasis being on the Man part. Why are all these heroes so angst-ridden all of a sudden?

This is one book I will not be purchasing and I highly doubt I will be buying the second volume as well.

 A great review I found by Kickpuncher on FemPop "Superman: Earth One – Olsen Is Superman’s Bromantic SuperFriend And Lois Wanks From The Sideline" details all the things I find wrong with this book.

No comments: