Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why is Batman in the Man of Steel Sequel?


By Book Girl

I have put off mentioning anything about the Man of Steel sequel but my lovely but annoying friends keep asking me what I think (since I was very disappointed by the first). I guess I'm the residential Nerd Girl and they want my opinion.

Here are my thoughts, I'm not the biggest fan of the first movie but I find it strange that Superman can't even have his own movie franchise. Why incorporate Batman into the Superman trilogy? Something's wrong if the Man of Steel can't carry his own series. Either the writing for the sequel wasn't strong or they finally realized Henry Cavill's acting isn't good and they need something to distract the viewer from that. Most likely with Batman stealing most of the scenes.

It makes me wonder why Batman? And why now? Especially since neither Superman nor Clark Kent have barely been established and now they are bringing in Batman. Hopefully they are still not trying to play catch up with Marvel.

I find it interesting that in the most recent Batman franchise they didn't include any characters that were outside of Batman's world. No Martian Manhunter, No Wonder Woman and certainly No Superman. Especially since they didn't even include Batgirl, Robin (that mention in TDKR doesn't count), or Poison Ivy.

Another thing, there is nothing that distinguish this Superman from Batman. This Superman is shown as dark and broody what will Batman bring to the film besides being even more dark and broody. Who will bring the hopeful positive attitude? Perhaps they saw the error they made with creating such a dark Man of Steel and they plan on fixing that for the sequel. But I'm not holding my breath and waiting.

Lastly, there does seem to be a bit of good news Perry White, Martha Kent and Lois Lane will be returning and hopefully they won't be pushed even more to the sidelines to promote more action and of course more Batman.

As much as I love Batman, I feel like DC is over using him. They should just let Superman have his own series then create a Superman/Batman movie then a Wonder Woman, Flash, and a better Green Lantern movie before giving fans a really good Justice League Movie.

No comments: