Friday, September 13, 2013

TV Round Up: The Legend of Korra Season 2 Review (Spoiler Free)


Book Two (Season): Spirits

Episode #1 "Rebel Spirits"

Episode #2 "The Southern Lights"

Rating for both episodes: 2 stars

Wow, was anyone else underwhelmed with those first two episodes? The continuous story for both episodes seemed like they would have been really interesting but they weren't. It also would have been better if Korra wasn't such a jerk. She was mean and very disrespectful to her father and Tenzin. And she still relies too much on brute strength and anger to fuel her instead of really using her brain. Why does she remind me so much of the arrogant New 52 Wonder Woman? Korra was always confident but she wasn't a jerk, I guess the creators of the show thought turning her into a jerk would be cool.



I thought the rest of the cast wasn't treated that well either except for maybe Mako, who wasn't too bad in these two episodes. Unlike his brother Bolin, who has sadly turned into nothing more than comic relief and Asami Sato was barely shown. I thought she was supposed to be a member of Team Avatar, I hope they haven't decided to cut her character out or diminish her role. I wonder if Korra's uncle will end up being the bad guy for the season. I got a sense he's up to something and perhaps trying to use Korra to advance his cause or something.

Did anyone else find those creepy waterbending twins annoying?

The best part of the premiere to me, was the focus on Tenzin's family. I found Tenzin's brother Bumi (who appeared at the end of first season finale) and his sister Kya to be really interesting. I hope they are featured in more episodes. It was nice seeing Katara again even though she only had a few small scenes. Tenzin's kids are always adorable and I'm looking forward to see what's going to happen with Jinora especially with the way the story seems to be hinting at. I also enjoyed the backstory for Korra's dad. That was very interesting.

I noticed the animation style has changed a bit as well as some of the voice acting. These are just two minor things that I will get used to.

Maybe my expectations were too high and I was hoping the first two episodes of season 2 were going to be as awesome as the first two episodes of season 1. I just felt like they were missing something.

So for now, I'm not liking the first two episodes of the season. I'm hoping the third episode will be much better and that the show just had a slow start.

No comments: