Friday, May 16, 2014

Comic Book News: Some Good News for Helena Bertinelli Fans (Sort of)


(Picture: Cover of Birds of Prey issue #69)


The good news first: Helena Bertinelli will finally be making her first appearance in the New 52. After DC Comics had decided to shelve the character as well as kill her (off panel), despite fans strongly voicing their disapproval (myself included). But according to a very recent Newsarama interview with Tom King and Tim Seeley, she will be featured in the upcoming new Dick Grayson comic book series "Grayson" that will premier this July. Helena will be one of Dick's partners and trainers during his new journey as a spy.

The bad news, according to the interview, they are planning to "put a pretty different spin on her". For some reason that doesn't sound like that will be a good thing. I'm going to stay hopeful that there will still be something recognizable about Helena and she will not be turned into another New 52 disaster.

I'm still disappointed that DC Comics got their wish to kill off Dick Grayson. Even though he will be faking his death, the character is still considered to be dead and most likely will be going by a different name. And with his face seen and name known to the world, how can he effectively go out and be a good spy. I guess he will be wearing a lot of disguises.

I guess, I will have to wait and see how this will be, since I do plan on picking up the first issue. I really do hope the writing will be good.

Is it me or does this feel like DC Comics answer to Marvel's Winter Soldier and Black Widow?

No comments: