Saturday, July 11, 2015

A Challenge To Calm My Book Buying Frenzy


I can't believe it, my mother just compared me to Carrie Bradshaw. But not in the way I had hoped such as her love of fashion or looking stylish but in comparison to Carrie's tendency to be a shopaholic. Well in my case, a bookaholic. She made the comment while I was in the process of ordering a few books (okay nine).

Nine books probably doesn't seem like a big order, however, I also ordered a total of 20 additional books over the past few weeks. And not to mention the odd few I've bought from time to time lately. What can I say, I've found some really good deals.

After I placed my order, I took a moment and decided that I'm going to go on one of my book buying breaks (for real this time) until October. And if I succeed my reward will be the Black Widow: Forever Red book which will be out in October. But I do have three exceptions: Storm vol #2, Red One vol #1 (both are out near the end of the month) and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl vol #1 (it's out in August). My challenge will officially begin tomorrow, Sunday July 12th.

In general, I don't normally buy that many books but lately I have and factor that in with my weekly comic books that's quite a lot. My comics are not included in the book buying break but I am going to cut back on those as well. Carrie once said in the sixth season 1st episode "I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet". I do not want my money to be found sitting on all my bookshelves, I have no desire to end up how Carrie did in the 4th season episode "Ring a Ding Ding" where she didn't have enough money to buy her apartment due to the fact that she had a closet full of designer clothes, shoes and accessories.

Which is why I am going to do my very best to stick with my goal. This break shouldn't be too hard for me since I have more than enough books sitting on my shelves that I haven't read. And not to mention I can borrow books from the library if there is something "new" I would like to read.

In the end, I think this break should be a good thing. It will give me a chance to save a little money and take a book shopping breather.


"I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!" ~ quote from Sex and the City season 4 episode 16, "Ring a Ding Ding"

No comments: