Monday, March 14, 2016

Fitness Monday: Body Shaming Is Something No One Needs


I wanted to take a different approach for this Fitness Monday post, I wanted to talk about Body Shaming. Which is to judge someone based on their appearance and feeling as if they are not "healthy" or "attractive" enough. How do we know if someone is healthy or not just by looking at them? I don't understand it. We are all different shapes and sizes, why is that not accepted or appreciated?

The latest celebrity to be affected by Body Shaming is actress/singer Zendaya. She has been accused of being a bad role model because she is too thin. I guess she can now join the many that have been shamed including model Ashley Graham, athlete Serena Williams, actresses Selena Gomez, Tia Mowry-Hardrict, Rebel Wilson, Melissa McCarthy, Alyssa Milano, Daisy Ridley, Gabourey Sidibe and Gal Gadot. And it's not just us ladies being shamed, it's also the guys such as with actors Vin Diesel and Grant Gustin. Body Shaming makes no sense.

Ladies are even being judged for how much weight is gained during pregnancy. I may not be a fan of Kim Kardashian, but I remember when I saw all of the posts and articles of when she was pregnant. I didn't think it was right that she was being criticized and made fun of for the weight she put on.

What makes someone say or post mean things about someone's appearance? It makes me wonder if they dislike their own appearance so much that they have to pass the criticism along to someone else. Body Shaming makes me mad because everything about a person is disregarded except for their weight or what they look like. Who got to decide what the ideal body type should be?

I'm glad that body acceptance is starting to gain more leeway and I like that Barbie has joined the movement with their new Barbie Fashionistas dolls that are available in various shapes and sizes. I hope this will make it easier for people to see the beauty in all people.


Body Shaming does no one any good. Empowering oneself should not have to come at the expense of someone else. There is no such thing as the perfect body, why not love the body that we have and not judge others for theirs.

No comments: