Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Book Review: Batman (Novelization)


Book: Batman (Novelization) by Craig Shaw Gardner

Edition: Paperback

Description:

They don't know who he really is. They never know where he'll show up. But the citizens of Gotham City know they have a protector. He's the Caped Crusader with an arsenal of amazing weaponry and a repertoire of incredible acrobatics. He's the legend they call Batman.

In the toxic brew of big-city corruption, a bone-white, green-haired, eternally grinning thing is born. His name is The Joker. His lust is for all the wealth, power, and revenge he can grab from the world. And in the timeless, violent war between criminal and crime fighter, Batman vs. The Joker will be the ultimate duel...


Rating: 4 stars

Review:

This book was published in 1989 and I found it a year or two ago at the comic book store. I only paid two dollars for it, not a bad deal especially since one corner of book is a little battered.

This novelization is pretty faithful to the movie with only a few changes to the story. What I found interesting or different about this book was although Bruce Wayne/Batman's point of view was shown it's not like you would expect. Because unlike the movie, this story was mainly told from Jack Napier/The Joker and Vicki Vale's point of view. Even James Gordon's point of view was shown although it was a small portion of the book but it's nice to see how his opinion and demeanor changes from the beginning of the book to the end.

I've seen this first Batman movie several times, but I always had an issue with the movie version of Vicki Vale. In the movie she was supposed to be this smart and successful photojournalist but the intelligence part was rarely shown. In the beginning of the movie, she started out asking questions and being inquisitive but that quickly went downhill and she turned into a screaming damsel-in-distress. Now I certainly did not want Vicki to be out there kicking butt as a superhero because that's not who she is. But I at least wanted her to be this amazing competent photojournalist which unfortunately the movie seemed to quickly move away from.

However, this book was a vast improvement on Vicki's characterization. The author made her appear interesting and not to mention smart. I really like this version of Vicki. I wish this was the version that was shown in the movie. By giving her point of view you see that Vicki is rather clever. I also could see that she wore her heart on her sleeve for Bruce. But you could tell that this was a doomed relationship from the start which is why I'm glad she didn't appear in the second movie Batman Returns.

Whether you want it or not, by getting the Joker's point of view you get a look into his sick and depraved mind. I still don't understand why he was so obsessed with Vicki Vale.

The last issue I had with both the movie and book was Batman's ease and propensity for killing. Plain and Simple, Batman Doesn't Kill. Which is why I have a problem with the versions that do.

This was a good read and it's definitely as dark and twisted as the movie with a lot of drama and suspense. I found a few editing issues but nothing that will ruin the story. I'm looking into getting the novelization of Batman Returns, if I happen to acquire it, I will read and review it.

After reading this, I want to watch the movie again. It's been a while since I've seen it.

No comments: