Friday, July 22, 2016

Geek on a Budget: "Shut Up and Take My Money!"


How did the phrase "Shut Up and Take My Money!" become so synonymous with Geeks? I don't know how many times I've seen someone post that in regards to something they want to buy. But yet I never see anyone say they will save their money instead.

Why are so many of us Geeks so quick to want to hand over our money? Could it be the thrill of the chase to acquire the item that has us forking over our money? Maybe you see something you don't have in your collection or maybe it's impulse shopping? Whatever the reason, many of us are willing to spend our money on something instead of saving for our financial future.

Hey, I'm not immune to shopping, I see things all the time that I want to buy. As a collector, I understand the sensation of finding the ultimate find. But lately I've been thinking that with companies cranking out more products, nearly everything now feels like "the ultimate find". The strange thing is I have been passing up on items. It's a funny feeling putting something back on the shelf or opting not to place something into my online cart. I don't know, it's weird but I realized that I don't need or want to buy everything.

I still buy stuff but now I'm more willing to save my money and only get the items that I really want. My point is, I'm trying not to get taken in by every new product that's being released. I don't want to impulsively hand over my money. We Geeks need a new phrase because Shut Up and Take My Money! isn't doing anything good for us but it is doing something great for Geek Consumerism.

No comments: