Friday, October 21, 2016

Is Dating Dead?


I recently read this article where it states that dating is dead. According to the article instead of dating, people are merely hanging out and watching Netflix, meeting up for coffee or drinks and hooking up. Dating is now considered old fashioned or something for an older generation. That's really sad to hear, I remember Glamour magazine had a special issue a couple of years ago focusing on bringing back the art of dating.

How did dating become so effortless? I know dating can be a bit nerve racking especially if you're asked on a date by someone you really like. But it's also fun and romantic. I don't understand how meeting up to watch Netflix is considered a date. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, I've been told I'm a girl with an old soul but inviting someone over to watch Netflix does not feel like that person took an ounce of effort to actually think up something.

To me this casual and informal take on dating doesn't make a person feel special or that they truly want to get to know you. Beside having an old soul, I'm also a romantic. I'm not saying I need flowers (which are nice) and five star restaurants, it's more the feeling that someone made the effort to make you feel special. It feels like what's missing is a real sense of romance. Dating now seems to come with low expectations where we are left wondering if these non-dates will perhaps lead to something.

So I'm asking is there a way to bring back dating? Are we not worthy of being asked out on real dates or do we simply have to except the current standards? I wonder if declining these informal dates would be a starting point?

I can only hope that as time goes by that the art of dating returns. Something wonderful and romantic as dating shouldn't fade away.

No comments: