Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Cookies and a Movie: Just Wright

I figured I would do another Cookies and a Movie it would give me a chance to pull another old DVD off the shelf. The cookies this time are peanut butter chocolate chips. Yes, I made them again. Why not, I had all the ingredients and they're easy to make. And this time, they turned out even better because last time I left them in the oven a little too long.

Now for the movie, I've seen Just Wright quite a few times and it's a really good movie. It's a romantic dramedy that centers around Leslie Wright (Queen Latifah) who despite having an interesting career as a physical therapist and being a vivacious and outgoing person, her love life is a bit stalled. That's mainly because she's seen as a friend instead of as a love interest.


Things were a bit different for her god sister Morgan Alexander (Paula Patton) who has the quintessential looks but is extremely shallow. Her only goal in life is to marry an NBA player and build her own fame and brand through that.

Which leads us to Scott McKnight (Common) who is a point guard for the New Jersey Nets. Despite the fame and fortune, he's a good-natured down to earth guy. Although, Scott first met Leslie during an interesting encounter it was love at first sight when he met Morgan which turned into a whirlwind romance. But when Scott became injured, it made him realize a few things about romance.

I love this movie even though it does include some of the classic romantic dramedy tropes it's still able to feel fresh and unconventional at the same time. This has a great story, interesting characters and love and romance set in the world of professional basketball.

Side Note: I had no idea Wendy & Lisa (formerly of Prince and the Revolution) scored the music. As I mentioned before, I've seen this movie so many times yet I failed to notice that they had anything to do with it.

No comments: