Sunday, November 13, 2016

Editorial: Turning My Anger Into Change


Yesterday, while I was at the mall, I couldn't shake the smile that was on my face because when I looked around I saw a melting pot. I saw women in their hijabs and burkas smiling and laughing shopping and going about their day, interracial couples shopping, gay couples shopping, people of all ethnicities pretty much milling around in a good mood walking throughout the mall.

See, that's what I don't want to see go away, I don't want people to live in fear. Make no mistake, I'm still angry about the election but my anger has gone down a bit and now I'm ready to channel that into real change.

Like so many I'm still trying to figure out what I should do next. I know the 2018 Mid-Term Election is going to be very important and I'm going to do my research to see how I can help. I'm so proud of all the people who are continuing to protest and speak out. It's important that we continue to let our voices be heard.

Something else that I've seen a lot lately are people making donations to various organizations that many believe will be defunded. For instance, I recently read an article about the singer Katy Perry who recently made a donation to Planned Parenthood. She stated that “It’s time to turn words into action! There are so many steps to take, but my first vow is to support organizations that may have their funding support taken from them in the future by the government”. I'm already putting together a list of organizations that I would like to contribute to.

I don't want our anger to ever dissipate into apathy but to turn into change. I'm not going to post a lot of political commentary since I'm trying to get back to Book Blogging but I will still be posting things from time to time. So for now I will end this with Hillary Clinton's words from her Concession Speech:

Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power and we don’t just respect that, we cherish it. It also enshrines other things; the rule of law, the principle that we are all equal in rights and dignity, freedom of worship and expression. We respect and cherish these values too and we must defend them.

"Our constitutional democracy demands our participation, not just every four years, but all the time. So let's do all we can to keep advancing the causes and values we all hold dear. Making our economy work for everyone, not just those at the top, protecting our country and protecting our planet. And breaking down all the barriers that hold any American back from achieving their dreams. We spent a year and a half bringing together millions of people from every corner of our country to say with one voice that we believe that the American dream is big enough for everyone."

"For people of all races, and religions, for men and women, for immigrants, for LGBT people, and people with disabilities. For everyone."

No comments: