Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Current Event: The Grab Your Wallet Protest


It's been a sad few weeks with the death of so many from the warehouse party fire to the deaths of Florence Henderson, Ron Glass and Van Williams. I guess that's why everyday we should try to enjoy life and do as much good as we can.

Which leads me to another current event, a protest that's already in progress. We all know there are more than one way to protest or boycott and now you can add the Grab Your Wallet (Twitter: #GrabYourWallet) protest to the list. The boycott was created by Shannon Coulter as a way to protest against Donald Trump's products as well as Ivanka Trump's products. With hate and misogyny at the forefront of his campaign as well as post election many are letting their money be their voice in protesting. This boycott is geared toward retailers who carry Donald and Ivanka Trump's products but also against Trump's businesses such as his hotels and golf courses.

Coulter has compiled a list (which is updated regularly) that includes these stores: T.J. Maxx, Amazon.com, Zappos, Bloomingdale’s, Lord & Taylor, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Dillard’s, DSW, Macy’s (they still carry Ivanka's line despite dropping her father's), Marshall’sSaks Off Fifth and more.

I find it disappointing that Ivanka Trump, a Jewish (she converted) businesswoman who aims her clothing line at women would align herself with her father's hatefulness. That is unless she feels the exact same way. Which is why I understand why her products are being boycotted as well.

I like this protest because as consumers we have the right to choose where we spend our money. I have joined this boycott because I feel like these companies are thinking only of profit and nothing else. I have been a long time customer of Amazon's for 16 years. And over the years I have spent quite a bit of money with them but I have no problem shopping elsewhere. I have not placed an order with them since November 18th and as a routine shopper that means something. When I'm not buying books, movies, TV shows or soundtracks from stores I would usually make a purchase from Amazon and over the years that's been a lot of orders. However, I can easily find all those things somewhere else.

Even if I have to pay a little more for a few items it's worth it to me not to buy from companies that do not see the conflict of interest. I recently placed a book order with Barnes & Noble and it felt nice having a new option. I don't know why I didn't order more books from them before but I think it was more to do with habit. Amazon was where I would immediately shop but no more auto-pilot shopping for me.

I also love shopping at Nordstrom and some of the other stores on the boycott list but yet again I have no problem shopping elsewhere. I know these companies have a right to carry whatever merchandise they want but that doesn't mean I have to continue to shop there.

No comments: