Monday, January 2, 2017

Book Review: I Like, I Don't Like


Book: I Like, I Don't Like by Anna Baccelliere with illustrations by Ale + Ale

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: March 6, 2017

Description:

An eye-opening introduction to an important issue

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states that every child in the world has the right to play. Unfortunately, that universal right is not always respected. I Like, I Don't Like presents this reality to readers by showing how children in varying circumstances can see the same object very differently.

With stark illustrations that perfectly capture the tone of the book, I Like, I Don't Like will inspire meaningful discussions about privilege and poverty.



Rating: 5 stars

Review:

This children's picture book starts with a list of rights every child in the world is entitled to then goes on to show a stunning contrast to how some impoverished children in some parts of the world are forced to work as opposed to simply being able to have fun and be children. The artwork is vivid which includes images on one side of the page of a kid or kids having fun doing an activity such as playing dress up in shoes while on the opposite side of the page shows a kid making shoes.


I believe a book like this would really make an impact on young readers because it has a very powerful message of privilege and poverty and the disparities between it. This book makes it possible for children to see how other children around the world may have to live.

I Like, I Don't Like highlights an important issue but makes it easy for young readers to understand and see contrast. I believe this book would encourage them to have empathy and compassion for others. It may even inspire them in wanting to help spark change in child labor laws.

It's a conversation starter that features beautiful artwork showcasing a very timely and relevant message.

No comments: