Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My Disappointment in publisher Simon & Schuster

Illustration by Alice Rutherford


For the pass few days I have been trying to figure out how to write about my disappointment in publisher Simon & Schuster giving a book deal and a six figure advancement to a known racist and harasser. Do you recall when actress and comedian Leslie Jones was harassed on Twitter following the theatre release of the Ghostbusters movie, well the guy who was leading the attack is the one the publisher decided his voice had something worth telling.

My immediate reaction was to no longer buy, read and review anymore of their books but I don't want to be filled with all this hate and turn into people like that guy. But it's hard to get over a publisher rewarding someone with a book deal knowing that they spread hatred no matter where they go. And how will his message enrich the world?

I'm trying to decide what to do because the publisher does have diverse books that I'm interesting in reading and I would like to support those authors but I'm disappointed in the publisher. Being a Book Blogger gives me the opportunity to read and review a number of books and to give new or less known authors and books a chance.

It's sad that racists have been given more platform and leeway after the election. For some reason publishers and I'm including newspapers and magazines as well have been writing puffed up profile pieces on some of these racists and I don't understand why? I guess racism is profitable. They know the message the racist have why give them more ways to promote it.

So, as I write this, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to reward a company for making profit off of hate but I don't want to hurt the authors who write diverse books either. Especially since they generally don't get the promotion that they deserve. Well, I guess that's my dilemma and I will figure out a solution for it.

No comments: