Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I Support Public Education!


I'm disappointed that Betsy DeVos was confirmed as Secretary of Education, I had hoped that she would not be. However, I figured it would happen especially if Mike Pence was the tie-breaker. It's going to be up to us to make sure she is held accountable and not destroy education for millions of children in this country. I am so proud of the Democrats for making a stand against her as well as the two Republican who voted against her. They knew DeVos was unqualified for the position and tried their best to stop the confirmation. When I think of the ones who voted yes, it's clear to see where their priorities lie and it's not for the children.

With that said and done I am going to do everything I can to protect public education because like so many I am a product of it. I attended elementary through high school and then went on to graduate from college. I have been trying to find ways I can help beside supporting my local schools.

I found another way through DonorsChoose.org, the site makes it possible to help a classroom in need by simply finding a classroom project that interest you and then make a donation. But I want to do more than that.

I'm going to make sure I vote in all the local elections I can especially for the school board election and to make donations to local school unions. A friend also suggested writing to my local school board and letting them know I oppose Betsy DeVos and that I am offering my support.

I will make sure I do more research to see if I can find additional ways to help. Not bad for a starting point and please feel free to take my suggestions and to leave me some for how we can support public education.

No comments: