Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Trailer for Netflix's Iron Fist Series

After re-watching this Iron Fist trailer it really makes me question why Lewis Tan (pictured below) was not cast to play Danny Rand? He auditioned for the role but ultimately Finn Jones was cast. Tan will be in the series unfortunately playing Zhou Cheng, a villain.


I know Danny is white in the comics but I wish Marvel had taken a chance and did something different with the casting especially with cultural appropriation at the center of the creation of the character. Even if Tan had been cast it would not have change the story of Iron Fist because Danny still could have grown up a rich kid in New York City but without any connection to his Asian culture. And by doing that he would still feel like an outsider when he found his way to K'un L'un. Being in the ancient mystical city would have given him a chance to learn more about his culture and history of the city while gaining mystical power and training before returning back to NY to avenge the death of his father. See how simple that change is and it would still be true to the Iron Fist story.

All that aside, I do hope the series will be better than what's shown in the trailer because it looks awfully boring. I am going to give it a chance and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out. And I'm so happy Colleen Wing (played by Jessica Henwick) will be in the show, I can't wait to see her scenes.


No comments: