Thursday, April 12, 2018

Geek on a Budget: 4 Ways to Save Money at the Movies


I love going to the movies but I don't go as often as I would like to. And when I do go, I don't want to spend a lot of money to watch a movie. I consider myself to be frugal and I'm always looking for ways to save money. I have four tips that have saved me money over the years:

1. Go During Matinee Times. The earlier you go the better because that's when movie theatre prices are lower. And depending on the theatre you can find tickets for $6.00 or sometimes even less.

2. Don't Buy Snacks or Beverages. I know it probably seems weird but I never buy anything to eat or drink when I go to the movies. Whenever I used to buy popcorn or anything else to eat or drink, I would never finish it. And it would end up being a waste of money for me. So I save money by not buying anything at all.

3. Buy Tickets at the Theatre. I know it's convenient to buy tickets online but you're also being charged a service fee per ticket. To avoid that I simply buy my tickets when I get to the theatre.

4. Be Selective. When I was younger I would go to the movies fairly often. However, now when I have the time, I only go when it's a movie that I'm super excited about seeing. Then I'm not wasting money seeing any random movie that's released.

I know about the theatre incentive programs but I don't go to the theatre enough to take advantage of the benefits of those types of membership programs. These tips may not work for everyone but they do work for me.

No comments: