Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Book Girl's Book Club Pick for August: Frankenstein in Baghdad

I'm so glad I restarted my book club because I love finding different books to read every month. And it also gives me a chance to read books I would rarely choose such as with last month's book 1872 which was a western, a genre I rarely read.

I really can't wait to start reading this month's pick Frankenstein in Baghdad because it seems like an interesting take on Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. This time I decided not include discussion questions, I figured if anyone wanted to talk about the book they can leave a comment in the review post.


Book: Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi with translations by Jonathan Wright

Description:

From the rubble-strewn streets of U.S.- occupied Baghdad, Hadi -- a scavenger and an oddball fixture at a local café -- collects human body parts and stitches them together to create a corpse. His goal, he claims, is for the government to recognize the parts as people and to give them proper burial. But when the corpse goes missing, a wave of eerie murders sweeps the city. Hadi soon realizes he's created a monster, one that needs human flesh to survive -- first from the guilty, and then from anyone in its path. With white-knuckle horror and black humor, Frankenstein in Baghdad captures the surreal reality of contemporary Iraq.

No comments: