Thursday, January 6, 2022

Rewatch Review: Step Up 5: All In

I finished my Step Up rewatch on Monday with Step Up 5: All In and I have to say, I still really enjoy watching this movie. It has an interesting story that centers around many of the characters struggling to follow their dreams of being professional dancers. I think Sean Asa finding The Vortex dance competition was just the thing he needed to keep his dream going because the winner will receive a three-year paid contract to perform in Las Vegas. Sean was truly struggling, with The Mob having a difficult time finding dance jobs, it was becoming abundantly clear that it was not working out for them in Los Angeles. Sean didn't want to go back to Miami and truly in need of help, he ended up getting a job doing maintenance at Moose's grandparents' dance studio and did I fail to mention that his only option for room and board was sleeping in the storage closet at the studio.

If it wasn't for Moose, I don't know what Sean would have done. He barely had any money and even if he wanted to go back to Miami, I doubt he had enough money to do that. Which is why this competition was something he needed to do because it not only gave him a chance to regroup but the other dancers (Moose, Andie, Jenny, the Santiago twins, Vladd "The Robot", etc.) as well and they created a new team to go after their dreams. I loved seeing the characters grow into a strong team and a romance slowly developing between Andie and Sean. While Moose and Camille's relationship was strong and steady despite a little hiccup that came up. As with any Step Up movie, the dances were amazing especially LMNTRIX's final dance that included The Mob.

Despite all of this, Step Up 5: All In isn't considered a fan favorite and I'm not sure why fans were disappointed. I do wonder if it had anything to do with seeing so many of the characters struggling. I think it can be hard sometimes to see your favorite characters having setbacks. This made me think of how some of the Gilmore Girls fans reacted to Rory's journey in the Gilmore Girls revival A Year in the Life. They were disappointed with how Rory was shown in the revival because her life (professional and personal) seemed to be in a downward spiral and nothing seemed be working out for her. She was truly undergoing a major setback in her life but what I like is that by the end of the revival, Rory had found that old spark and was writing again and despite the big bombshell at the end I think Rory was on her way to living the life she wanted.

Which is how I saw Step Up 5, these dancers were not where they wanted to be career and life wise but The Vortex dance competition was a good way back into the dance world that they loved so much and they were willing to take a chance on entering the competition. What I like about this movie is that the dancers never gave up on their dreams, it's very inspiring. I love all five of the Step Up movies and I think Step Up 5 is still a good movie that perfectly closed out the franchise.

No comments: