Thursday, March 3, 2022

Happy 25th Anniversary, Daria!

It's the 25th Anniversary of the Daria animated series which premiered on March 3, 1997 on MTV. The popular show was a spinoff from another popular MTV animated series, Beavis and Butt-Head. Daria is a really funny, witty, interesting and a surprisingly thought-provoking show that centered around the smart, sarcastic, somber and outcast main character high school student Daria Morgendorffer. The show also focused on her family, her best friend and fellow outcast Jane Lane, her school life and the world in general.

I always thought Daria Morgendorffer was the anti-Cher Horowitz. Because where Cher was perky, cool, fashionable and popular, Daria on the other hand was the complete opposite. She was absolutely fine being her cynical and sarcastic self and had no desire to fit in and be one of the popular kids. However, Daria's younger sister Quinn was definitely a Cher wannabe because she was trying her best to be popular, fashionable and cool. Daria feels like a forgotten show, I never see anyone talking about it. I guess I can include myself in that as well because I haven't written anything about it on my blog either. However, I did include it in a list of old TV shows to watch.

If you've never seen this classic series, it's available on DVD and I also believe on several streaming services. So, if you get a chance, check it out. Since I have it on DVD maybe I'll do a re-watch and write more about the show especially since it's a really good series. This show needs more attention and with that said, Happy 25th Anniversary, Daria!

No comments: