Sunday, June 23, 2024

Quote: Claudette Collins and May Grant (9-1-1)

(9-1-1 season 5 episode 16: May Day)

Claudette: Why aren't you in college?

May: Why do you care?

Claudette: Girl.

May: I wasn't ready to go. I just needed more time, but now I'm out of time, and USC sent me this letter, and they want me to make my decision, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

Claudette: You should quit.

May: Yeah, you would love that.

Claudette: No, I wouldn't. I told you once that I saw greatness in you. And you know I don't say anything I don't mean. But maybe your greatness is meant for something else.

May: Like what?

Claudette: I don't know. And you don't know, either. 'Cause you've got your whole life ahead of you. Get the hell out of here and go to college. Hang around with some people your own age. Fill your head with some knowledge, and do some things. Some crazy things, some courageous things, and maybe even some naughty things. Because... this job, it comes with a price, and it's a heavy one. And it's also one I never want to see you have to pay. You know I'm right.

May: Because you're always right.

Claudette: Yeah, and because if you were sure you wanted to be a dispatcher for the rest of your life, you'd have already thrown that letter away.

~ Claudette Collins and May Grant, 9-1-1 season 5 episode 16: May Day

Claudette was a character you were supposed to love to hate. As a typical antagonist, Claudette's role was to cause conflict and obstacles for May at work at 9-1-1 Dispatch. As overbearing as she was, you did get to see a vulnerable side to her in episode Defend in Place (season 5 episode 8). It was when she thought two children had died in the hospital fire. She had to be told by Dispatch supervisor Josh Russo to take a break because she was clearly distressed. But you also saw how relieved she was after being being told by fellow Dispatcher Linda Bates that the children had been found, rescued and were safe.

In May Day, viewers saw another instance of her being vulnerable when her and May realized they were trapped in a fire at Dispatch. She had fell into a state of shock and May had to bring her out of it. In that same episode, prior to realizing that Dispatch was on fire, viewers saw her being understanding and giving May some good life advice (which is the quote above).

Claudette was only in four episodes but her larger than life presence and excellent acting by Vanessa E. Williams made her character very interesting and memorable.

No comments: