Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Book 9 Review for my Library Read-a-thon: Breakfast at Tiffany's


Book: Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories by Truman Capote

Rating: 1 star

Review:

This was such a disappointing read. I am so glad I saw the movie first because I like the movie version of Holly Golightly so much better. Although she was a bit flighty and her career was questionable (was she a kept woman or not?), Holly was fun and lovely and had a zest for life unlike in the book, she was callous and mean and simply a horrible person. I don't know who wrote the screen play for the movie but I thank them for transforming Holly into such a charming and wonderful character.

This was just a dark and dreary pretentious story that was sprinkled with racism. The story was very boring and didn't really have any plot. This has been touted as a love story however that doesn't seem to be the case. I found none of the characters to be really that likeable, the only one I could muster some interest for is the narrator. It makes me wonder what he could have found so interesting in Holly because she was an awful person. I'm not sure if the cat was supposed to be considered a character but I found him to be more interesting than Holly. I would rather know more about his story than hers.

There were some things I like such as the writing was good and some of the descriptions however all the awful things just drowned it out.

After reading this, I had absolutely no desire to read the remainders of the short stories. I was finished with this.

No comments: